Do-it-yourself carpet cleaning mistakes can not only be frustrating when things go wrong but can also cost you more money in the long run when you have to fix the mistakes. Many people tackle the job of a stubborn stain themselves only to find that the spot and/or smell will not go away. Trying lots of different chemicals can damage your carpeting and reduce the life of it.
Avoid damaging your carpet by not making these common carpet cleaning mistakes:
1. Waiting too long – Ok, we have all done it, we either wait for a more convenient time to clean up that spill or possibly forget about it all together. Unfortunately, the longer it sits, the more set in the stain becomes by drying and soaking into the carpet padding. It will also cause wicking when you do try to remove the stain. So, always try to clean up the mess right after it happens, even if you are in a hurry.
2. Using the wrong cleaner – When you use the wrong cleaner on your stain, it can permanently damage your carpets or cause unpleasant discoloration to the area. Always read the label and make sure you are following the directions properly.
3. Forgetting to test first – So, you just read a tip on Pinterest that says to use some strange household chemical to clean your carpets… We’re totally down with cleaning hacks but make sure it isn’t going to damage your carpets. ALWAYS test in an inconspicuous place first and then try it on your stain.
4. Scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing – The harder you scrub the cleaner your carpets get, right? Not so fast. Scrubbing your carpets to roughly can damage the carpet fibers. It can also (gasp) make the stain worse by driving it deeper into the carpeting and padding. Rather than a rough scrub, try blotting instead.
5. Using too much cleanser – Just like scrubbing harder does not produce the desired results, using too much cleanser can also be an issue. Too much cleanser can damage carpets but something you probably didn’t know – solution buildup can leave dirt-attracting residue, completely opposite of what you want! When it comes to cleanser on your carpets, less is more.
6. Using cleaning equipment – We’ve all rented the carpet cleaner from the local grocery store. While this can seem like a really good idea, these machines often have issues that cause them to leave too much cleanser/residue (see #5) and even mold issues. If you use one of these machines, just make sure to look it over for signs it has been cared for.
7. Skipping regular professional maintenance – I know, I know we are a floor cleaning company so of course we are going to say this but hear us out. Professional carpet cleaners know all of these tips and common mistakes plus a LOT more about how to clean your floors. Why not utilize their expertise? Plus, they use professional grade machinery that is maintained and tested routinely which will not leave excess residue or damage your carpeting. Many people are surprised at how affordable professional carpet cleaning can be.
TruClean Floor Care delivers customers thoroughly clean floors using professional, eco-friendly cleaning techniques for tile, carpets, upholstery, rugs and more.
To schedule a service, contact us today!